A year ago, Nanaimo Foodshare, in partnership with Manly Media, Seniors Connect and the City of Nanaimo launched the Setting the Table project. Documentary and educational filmmaker, Paul Manly taught the group about video production and then mentored them through the process of documenting stories that interested them. The participants determined the content of the videos, which include videos profiling seniors involved with bee keeping, community gardens, the farmers market, fermenting vegetables and Eden Gardens. A local group of self-advocates with diverse abilities profiled their involvement with the Good Food Box and Cooking out of the Box programs.
The Setting the Table project is funded in part by the Government of Canada’s New Horizons for Seniors program with in-kind support from Manly Media and Nanaimo Foodshare. Additional sponsors include the City of Nanaimo, Berwick on the Lake, Thrifty Foods and Seniors Connect.
Doors open at 6:30 and the evening starts with a mix and mingle with finger food and beverages before the program begins at 7:00. The event is free and open to all members of the public. Special thanks to our sponsors, Thrifty Foods, Berwick on the Lake, the City of Nanaimo and Seniors Connect. For more information contact Paul Manly at Nanaimo Foodshare Paul.Manly@NanaimoFoodshare.ca or call 250-753-9393
In one evening, there is something for everyone!
- For the folks that are beekeepers, there is a film featuring local beekeeper, Theo Fredrich.
- The Good Food Box and Cooking out of the Box is featured as a program important to Supportive Apartment Living and the Self Advocates of Nanaimo (SAN). Self Advocacy refers to a world wide civil rights movement representing the rights, the views and interests of people with disabilities (diverse abilities).
- a profile of the BC Farmers Market Nutrition Coupon Program,
- community gardens,
- fermenting vegetables, and
- the importance of nutrition to elders experiencing dementia (Eden Gardens) are all on for the premiere
Delicious appetizers prepared by Foodshare’s Cultivating Abilities group will be available for the mix and mingle. A very entertaining, heartwarming and educational evening. AND an opportunity to support Foodshare. There will also be a raffle. Great prizes: A golf package, a photo shoot, a fancy dinner for 4 at Berwick on the Lake, and other great prizes.Tell your friends! and bring them along!